Saturday, August 07, 2010

Cooking Post - why don't people tell you just how easy some things are?

OK, now that my kitchen is finished (and OMG how I love it every single time I walk in there!!!), I am having my promised Pampered Chef party. Not sure if I really need anything new, but I thought it was a great way to show off my new space.

So, I was thinking about what to make and started looking through my old PC cookbooks and found a Chocolate Mint Meringue recipe in the "It's Good for You" book (don't tell anyone it's in a "good for you" book!) and they are in the oven as I type this. Every Christmas, for her big party my Mom makes Meringues and I absolutely love them - crispy, sweet, a little chewy goodness. Well, she never mentioned just how easy it is to make them - especially when you have a KitchenAid Mixer just staring at you from the corner. I think the hardest part was separating the eggs (and honestly, that's not too hard!)

So, waiting for them to cook, I hopped on the ol' internets and checked out my Bloglines - I know, it's old, it's not Google Reader, but I have it all nice and organized and I like it. Low and behold I came across another revelation - how to make brown sugar on one of my fave food blogs Joy the Baker. I just ran out of my Splenda Brown Sugar Blend and I do have some sugar, some Splenda and some Molasses in the cabinet and I may just give it a try.  I think I'll need to make the brown sugar first and then double it up with the Splenda.

Any secret things that are so easy that you do?

(edited to add - if I say so myself, those Chocolate Meringues are yummy!)

No comments: